“The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton
Photo Credits: NachoRuiz pixabay
- Live in the city of Alicante, stretched along the Mediterranean Sea
- Designed as a language-intensive program from the intermediate to advanced Spanish level, students will benefit from a rich language-focused curriculum, taught by professors at Universidad de Alicante (UA).
- Understand Spanish daily life by staying in a home stay
Alicante Pre-Approved Courses List
- At least sophomore year standing (junior for some programs), SMC, Exchange & Lasallian programs meet senior residence requirements;
- An average of a 2.8 minimum cumulative AND major GPA;
- Confirmation of a clear record of disciplinary conduct with Residence Life
- Click on the "Apply Now" button on top right hand of this page to begin the process
- Deadlines: March 1st for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and October 1st for Spring Semester start programs
- Selection results will be announced early April for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and early November for Spring Semester start programs
- Study abroad deposit ($600) will be due upon acceptance
2018-2019 Semester Fees
*Tuition & Fees include tuition and medical insurance
|Tuition and Fees
|Room (Board Included)
|Travel (Estimated International Flight)
|Personal Expenses (Estimated)
|Study Abroad Deposit (due one month after acceptance)
|Study Abroad Fee
*NOTE: Tuition does not include excursion/lab/material fees associated with courses taken. Students are charged additional related course fees directly.
For Scholarship Resources please click HERE.
Photo Credits: Universidad de Alicante
This Lasallian International Program is offered through Saint Mary's University of Minnesota in coordination with the Center for Cross-Cultural Study(CC-CS)
. Students will have the opportunity to study in one of three options: International Studies, Spanish Studies, or Integrated Studies.
International Studies Program
gives students with little or no previous background in Spanish
, the opportunity to take courses in English and Spanish at a local Spanish university. All students enroll in a mandatory Spanish language class and a 1-credit SPAN 343UA: Cultural Realities of Spain course. With the support of a Resident Director, students enroll in a variety of content courses, specially designed for international students. The program includes numerous cultural activities, day trips and excursions.
Spanish Studies Program
is open to students who have completed one year of elementary college Spanish (Spanish 1 and 2) or the equivalent.
Students will benefit from a rich language-focused curriculum, taught by professors at Universidad de Alicante (UA). CC-CS students in this program also benefit from a unique culture course taught by the Resident Director called Social & Cultural Realities of Spain. This course allows you to synthesize your immersion experience from understanding daily life in the home stay to the historic and sociological foundations of Spain's current social reality.
Integrated Studies Program
is open to students who have completed two semesters of advanced college Spanish or the equivalent, or native/near-native speakers of Spanish;
and approval from Universidad de Alicante, based upon the performance on UA's online examination.
Students will stay in a homestay with a local family. The will include homestay full room and board as well as laundry and the cleaning of the room. Special dietary or housing accommodations may be made, but may required at an additional fee. To ensure that the home will provide a warm and tranquil atmosphere, one conducive to learning, CC-CS staff discusses norms and policies with hosts and regularly inspects the homes.
For students interested in gaining Spanish skills prior to studying abroad, please consider taking Spanish classes at SMC. For more information, please click HERE.