|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||SMC-CA applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Minimum GPA:||2.8||Eligible Class Standing:||2 Sophomore, 3 Junior, 4 Senior|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Italian||Study Abroad Program Type:||Lasallian International Programs Consortium|
|Housing:||Shared||Field of Study:||Anthropology, Art History, Business Administration, Communication, Economics, Global Regional Studies, History, Italian, Kinesiology, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Studio Art|
“You lose sight of things… and when you travel, everything balances out.” – Daranna Gidel
Photo Credits: cococc pixabay
- Earn SMC credits while engaging with Italians and other international students
- Learn Italian in Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance
- Earn SMC credits while engaging with Italians and and other international students
- Opportunities for the Global Leaders Certificate and/or internships are available
AcademicsTo search for classes follow the links below: Select "Semester & Quarter" under "Programs Available" on the right side of the page.
FUA Offered Courses
FUA Florence pre-approved courses
- At least sophomore year standing (junior for some programs), SMC, Exchange & Lasallian programs meet senior residence requirements;
- An average of a 2.8 minimum cumulative AND major GPA;
- Confirmation of a clear record of disciplinary conduct with Residence Life
- Click on the "Apply Now" button on top right hand of this page to begin the process
- Deadlines: March 1st for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and October 1st for Spring Semester start programs
- Selection results will be announced early April for Academic Year/Fall Semester start programs and early November for Spring Semester start programs
- Study abroad deposit ($600) and Security/Housing Deposit ($300) will be due 1 week after acceptance
- Students will be allowed to register for courses after deposits are paid
2018-2019 Semester Fees
*Tuition & Fees include tuition and medical insurance
|Tuition & Fees||$23,565|
|Room (Board Not Included)||$4,790|
|Travel (Estimated International Flight)||$1,500|
|Personal Expenses (Estimated)||$1,100|
|SMC Study Abroad Deposit (due one month after acceptance)||$600|
|SAI Security/Housing Deposit||$300|
|Study Abroad Fee||$28|
*NOTE: Tuition does not include excursion/lab/material fees associated with courses taken. Students are charged additional related course fees directly.
For Scholarship Resources please click HERE.
Photo Credits: studiesabroadThis Lasallian International Programs Consortium opportunity is offered though Saint Mary's College of Minnesota and SAI. The SAI program in Florence enables students to take classes from a variety of subjects at Florence University of the Arts (FUA). The network of schools is located in the city center, and classes are limited to 25-30 students (studio arts classes are less.) All classes are taught in English, and students have access to several computer labs, a library, and study lounges, and exercise facilities. Complementing the academic programs, students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular programming sponsored by SAI and FUA. These include short weekend trips to nearby towns, or events during the week that highlight local culture. In particular, this program is well suited for students in Fine Arts (painting, sculpture, graphic design, drawing), the Humanities, and Business.
HousingStudents are placed with other (usually U.S.) SAI students in apartments that are privately owned and located in buildings shared by Italian residents. A typical residence will house 2-8 students, and contains a combination of shared and private bedrooms (the cost indicated above is reflective of a shared room). The kitchen, bathrooms, and living areas are also shared.
For students who want to gain Italian skills prior to studying abroad, please consider taking Italian courses at SMC. For more information please click HERE.